Over the last several years, as scrap metal prices have risen and the economy has declined, metal theft has increasingly become a problem. On September 30, 2008 Governor Schwarzenegger signed five bills into law (SB 447, SB 691, AB 844, and AB 1778) that will significantly impact the payment process for recyclables. These laws went into effect December 1, 2008. A summary of the requirements follows.

Required Information

All recyclers are required by the State of California to collect the following information:

  1. Name and valid driver’s license or state identification card.
  2. Vehicle license number and state of issue.
  3. A description of the item(s) being sold.
  4. A signature indicating the seller is the owner of the property being sold or a signed, verifiable authorization from the owner to sell the property.

The Sale of Non-Ferrous material has the following additional requirements:

  1. A photograph or video of the customer selling the material.
  2. A photograph or video of the material.
  3. A thumbprint of the customer.

CRV Purchases

  1. There is a daily limit of 100lb. for CRV cans and plastic bottles and a 1000lb. daily limit for CRV glass bottles. Loads brought in exceeding these amounts are required to be purchased at scrap value, not redemption value.
  2. CRV purchases exceeding $100.00 will require a valid California state ID and will be paid by check.

Payment Methods

In accordance with the new laws, we will be required to enact the following procedures regarding payment for certain recyclables.

Non-Ferrous Metals (Copper, Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Brass, Alloys)

Payment must be held for 3 working days from the date of sale. After 3 days a check can be mailed or cash can be picked up in person.

CRV sales in excess of $100.00 must be made by check.

Newspaper sales in excess of $50.00 must be made by check.

We regret any delays or inconvenience the implementation of these laws may cause you.

Please understand our management and employees are simply following the law.

To voice your concerns about these laws please contact the Governor of California or your local state representative.